The bible generally discourages drinking alcohol. I use the word “generally” because God deals with us as individually. THEREFORE, it comes down to what God is telling you. In addition, the Bible says all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. Therefore, although you may be permitted to take alcohol, it does not mean that drinking alcohol will bless you.
I tend to put alcohol in the same group as women and money. It is not necessarily money, women, or alcohol but the type of relationship you have with them. That type of relationship is a message to you. Therefore, there is a type of relationship between you and alcohol that God discourages.
Categorizing Alcohol Drinking in 2 groups
- Drinking in small quantities
- Drinking that leads to drunkenness (Binge drinking)
The bible describes these two separately. There are many other things in our lives that bible describes separately. For instance, a woman can be a wife and a woman can be a prostitute. The only difference is the type of relationship. Many churches agree on the fact that binge drinking is wrong.
Drunkenness/Binge drinking. Why is it wrong?
It is a fruit of the flesh, hence a sin.
Galatians 5:21, 1 Peter 4:3, 1 Corinthians 6:10, Ephesians 5:18
Drunkenness is a sin of the flesh. Our text from Galatians calls drunkenness one of the fruits of the flesh. When you are someone, who gets drunk, it means you have intimate relationship with the alcohol. God clearly put it as sin. This is why the Bible says we should not get drunk on wine because you are developing an intimate relationship with it. Rather, we are supposed to share an intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit.
Pic insert: Binge drinking is sin and the fruit of the flesh
It destroys families.
No body set out to destroy their families unless another power gets over you. Alcohol destroys families in many ways. Sometimes the person spends so much time and money on alcohol. Monies meant for school fees or other household items are wasted on alcohol.
Sometimes, the person who is supposed to be a breadwinner just dies and it becomes a problem in the family.
It makes people poor
When it gets into the stage of drunkenness you become poor, money which you could have invested is used for alcohol.
It gets you addicted hence becomes your god.
When the devil wants to terminate your life, he gets you addicted to alcohol in order to destroy you. Soon you will start hallucinating, hearing voices that are not there.
It is destroying your body
You have to take good care of your body as a steward. It is supposed to take you to 70/80 years. However, the more you engage in drunkenness, the more you wear it down decreasing the number of years you have. Your brain will shrink, and alcoholic depression will also set in. You are also at risk of heart, liver and pancreas diseases.
- Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance in America today, but exactly what makes alcohol addictive?
- According to the NCADD, 17.6 million people in the United States suffer from alcohol dependence or chronic alcohol abuse.
- That’s about one in twelve adults, with many more engaging in unhealthy binge drinking habits that can develop into alcoholism.
- This data is from recoverycentersofamerica.com
Why do people start drinking alcohol?
- I wanted to fit in
- Dealing with stress
Most people drink because of these things but have in mind about your finances, body, family etc. You can do away with the pressures of fitting in by moving away from what brings the pressure.
Is this true/false
- Teens drink only because they like the taste of alcohol.36 percent of the young ones questioned said that they drank primarily to fit in at social activities. In the United States, a survey found that 66 percent said that they drank because of peer pressure. However, more than half also said that they drank to try to forget problems
- Because they are younger and fitter, teens face fewer bad side effects from alcohol abuse than do adults (FALSE)
- Binge drinking can’t kill you (FALSE)
- The Bible condemns all use of alcohol (FALSE)
- Poor health is the only consequence of binge drinking (FALSE)
- You do not need to drink to have a good time. True. Because u know what alcohol can do to you
What is happening to you spiritually?
Your destiny is being hijacked. You will lose the promise and potential. 2 Corinthians 7:1