How to Quit?
The formula is run away from, run away to and run away with
- Be convinced it’s really harmful and accept you need help
- Ask for God’s help and be delivered from the spirit of addiction and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Someone must help you here
- Overwhelm the flesh by living in the spirit everyday. 1-2 hours with God every morning will fill you up. Develop the art of meditating on God
- Avoid triggers and set boundaries. Search and destroy lighters, cigarettes etc.
- Ask as many close friends to help check on you.
Will you always be tempted even after quitting?
YES so generally know what your flesh likes so you can be vigilant, 1 Peter 5:8
Taking a small dose of alcohol
Alcohol or wine is not the problem: just like women, money.
Bible mentions some good benefits
Some good benefits in small dosage of wine
- God made alcohol to make us feel better (Psalm 104:15).
- Jesus himself turned water into wine (John 2:1-11),
- drank it himself (Matt 26:27-29) and
- used it positively in illustrations (Mark 2:22)
- medicinal purposes, 1 Timothy 5:23
Before you use these reasons as a means of drinking.
Here is why you shouldn’t drink at all
- It is very addictive. Food and water and other things are not
- It is very tempting to drink it in excess
- The wine then is not the wine now. Like bread
- Nobody starts out wanting to become a drunkard. It’s a setup
- It may be a stumbling block for others so it’s good to stay out of it, 1 Corinthians 8:9-13
- If it is to make you feel better, engage the Holy Ghost, Romans 14:17
- The #1 way the devil hijacks destinies is by addiction. You are enslaved by your flesh
How to resist?
- Ask yourself what are the benefits of it?
- What are the costs of it?
- You don’t need to drink to have a good time.
- Change friends if you need to fit in. Be serious @ church so you have church friends